What is Elder Law?
Elder law is a term that encompasses a wide range of issues (both legal and practical) that touch the lives of individuals as they age, and assistance to the families that care for them. Elder law encompasses emotional, practical, and legal considerations aimed at addressing the needs of older clients with the goal of preserving and ensuring autonomy to the extent possible, safety, and well-being.
Depending on the specific needs of the situation we can help with the following:
- Estate planning for the aging client
- If inability to maintain sound decision-making capacity has become a concern, guardianship or conservatorship proceedings may be appropriate.
- Navigating the world of long-term care/nursing home care, financing options and awareness of Medicaid qualification requirements.
- Understanding medical decision making issues and planning for end of life treatment choices.
- Referrals for reporting of situations of elder abuse and neglect.